[Samba] FreeBSD / Samba / usr/local/apache24

bret_stern bret_stern at machinemanagement.com
Sat Jan 4 19:51:41 UTC 2020

Good day,

I have hosted several domain websites under my apache24 web server on
FreeBSD 10.1 for several years. I had Samba configured to allow updating
files from my window 7/XP machines.
My freeBSD 10.1 server still allows me to copy files into the freebsd
apache24 folders: /usr/local/www/apache24..and below.

Notes: I can ssh into both servers with FreeBSD user accounts
using my username/password. But cannot copy files into the
  /usr/local/www/apache24...or below folders (read only during ssh
session)
So it appears Samba is overriding the file system permissions.

Trying to move to FreeBSD 12.1

Changes
On FreeBSD 10.1, my smb.conf file has the following share used:
security = share

On FreeBSD 12.1, my smb4.conf file has the following change
security = user

The following share directive is in both original smb.conf and new
smb4.conf

[ww]
  path=/usr/local/www/apache24
  browseable = yes
  read only = no
  public = yes
  writable = yes

On the new FreeBSD server with samba48 installed, I can view the folders
in /usr/local/www/apache24..and below. But cannot write to them.

Even though this may be an unorthodox manner to update my websites, I
run a pretty tight ship here, so, if I can do what was previously able
to do under freeBSD 10.1 and Samba 3.625...it would be preferred.

Would like any ideas to determine what is allowing me to write files to
the old server web site files, or preventing me from writing files on
the new server.

Sorry for the long story,
Regards,
Bret