[Samba] Companion software to shadow_copy2 (lvmthin snapshot management)

Richard Barr it at sterlingpackaginginc.com
Thu Jan 2 19:43:11 UTC 2020

with vfs shadow_copy2?

I've recently deployed a file server to a new site and one of my pet
projects has been enabling Windows Previous Versions functionality. I had
originally intended to use Snapper to generate and manage lvm thin
snapshots, however it seems it's build scripts are broken on rhel8/centos8
since they've dropped btrfs.

In the interim I've applied an (ugly) hack to make the smbsnap script (
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rotating_LVM_snapshots_for_shadow_copy )
work with lvmthin (and centos's version of the lvm tools), and am making
some alterations to make that hack safe, as well as improve the expiry
mechanism.

So far it's working exceedingly well, but, before I get too deep, is there
some other snapshot management software others are using to create / mount /
unmount / remove lvm(thin) snaps on a schedule?