[Samba] net ADS join MEMBER

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Feb 29 13:48:29 UTC 2020

On 28/02/2020 23:22, Bob Wyatt wrote:
> Hi, Rowland,
>
> Joined the domain successfully.
> Winbindd and smbd started without error.
>
> Cannot access a share - reports "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning." Attached if preferred.

There are several problems with your shares.

You have 'guest ok = yes' in a few of them, but guest access will still
be denied because you do not have 'map to guest = bad user' in [global].

In one share you have 'valid users' and 'guest ok = yes', but this can
never work (even after you fix the 'map to guest' problem) because the
user 'nobody' (or whoever the guest user is on AIX) is not in the 'valid
users'.

If this was using an ext4 filesystem (or similar), I would suggest
adding 'vfs_objects = acl_xattr' to [global], but this is jfs2 on AIX. A
bit of investigation turned up 'vfs_aixacl2' which I think will do the
same thing, try running 'man vfs_aixacl2', if this doesn't work, see
here:
https://fossies.org/linux/misc/samba-4.11.6.tar.gz/samba-4.11.6/source3/modules/README.nfs4acls.txt

If it does work similar to 'vfs_acl_xattr', you should be able to set
the permissions from Windows (I am taking it that you do have Windows
clients) and remove the 'valid users' etc.

Rowland