[Samba] Issue compiling Samba 4.11.6 with GNUTLS 3.6.12 (Not standard location)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 28 19:06:24 UTC 2020

On 28/02/2020 18:54, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 18:38 +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>>> Is there a way to solve this build issue with Samba 4.11.6?
>>>
>> Not sure, but even if you can, you cannot use it without python3
>>
>> Rowland
> G'Day Rowland,
>
> If the OS only needs to build Samba for a fileserver or a client
> library then the python3 issue doesn't come up, we still allow a build
> of those components as long as --disable-python is set.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew, at no point does the OP state that he has set
--disable-python, so it is reasonable to think he wants to build Samba
to use it as a DC.

If he does want to run Samba as a DC, then he will have problems. It
says here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.11_Features_added/changed

Under the heading: REMOVED FEATURES

(trimmed to the salient points):

Python2 support
Samba 4.11 will not have any runtime support for Python 2.

Except for this specific build-time use of python2, Samba now requires
Python 3.4 as a minimum.

So, by my reading, unless you do build Samba 4.11.x with
--disable-python, you will not be able to run it satisfactorily as a DC
without python3

As the OP already has 4.10.x, there isn't much point in building Samba
4.11.x just to use it as a fileserver.

Rowland