[Samba] New PTR records not visible

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Thu Feb 27 17:21:36 UTC 2020

On February 28, 2020 4:02:10 AM GMT+13:00, Christian via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>Yet that still does not explain why the PTR record I create for that IP
>does not become visible. I can create other PTR records in the same
>zone
>and they do become visible to DNS lookups. I suspect it has something
>do with half-dead entries in the database that are blocking it

FWIW The problem described here is the same one I described in the thread

[Samba] Cannot remove old NS record

If you look at the last post dated Jan 4, 2020 I describe the problem where I deleted an old PTR and tried to create a new PTR because the IP address had changed. I could never see the new pointer and there was strangeness having to do with the PTR already existing after deletion. I blamed the issue on something related to the old NS RR still hanging around and dropped the issue as it wasn't impacting the AD operation.

What is of interest I am using CentOS 7 with the Sernet packages and BIND_DLZ also.
--
Paul