[Samba] Samba AD - Different IP than the existing one assigned

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 27 13:48:32 UTC 2020

On 27/02/2020 13:25, Lionel Monchecourt via samba wrote:
> Hi, Thanks for helping.
>
> Answers in line :
>

> Log.smbd :
> [2020/02/24 10:02:22.602083,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1815(main)
>    server role = 'active directory domain controller' not compatible with running smbd standalone.
>    You should start 'samba' instead, and it will control starting smbd if required
Really big hint there, you are not starting 'samba-ad-dc', you seem to
be starting the individual Samba binaries
> Nothing is running on port 53 :
There wouldn't be, the 'samba' binary isn't starting.
> Now, when I performed a check for the adc1, I get an answer BUT ,the IP is
> not the one of the machine
>
> A DC should have a fixed IP and that is what Samba should use.
>
>> yes ok : 172.31.6.15
>>

>> Do you have more than one ethernet device ?
>>
>> Yes , here are the different devices, but none is matching this strange IP
This is strange, but possibly related to the DC not running.
> What OS is this ?
>
>> Ubuntun 18.04
> Can you post the contents of the following files:
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
>> search transmitcorp.com
>>
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>> options edns0
Do not use '127.0.0.1', use the computers ipaddress
>> /etc/hostname
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost php7.localhost adc1
>>
>> 120.0.0.1 php7.localhost
>>
>> 172.31.6.15 adc1
No, /etc/hostname should just contain the computers short hostname 'adc1'
>> /etc/hosts
>>
>> search transmitcorp.com
>>
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>> options edns0

Have you mixed up your files ? I would have expected /etc/hosts to look
like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

172.31.6.15 adc1.transmitcorp.com adc1

Rowland