[Samba] net ADS join MEMBER

Bob Wyatt bwyatt_sub at comcast.net
Thu Feb 27 00:51:27 UTC 2020

In some spare time, been trying to get Samba 4.10.6-1 working on AIX.

Several earlier posts handled by Louis and Rowland. Which were much
appreciated and beneficial.

Using this stripped (leaving comments out of it) GLOBALS section of
smb.conf:

[global]

        workgroup = boost

        realm = BOOST.COM

        server string = Samba Server Version %v

        interfaces = lo eth0 172.21.10.2/255.255.0.0

        case sensitive = Yes

        hide dot files = No

    idmap config * : backend        = tdb

    idmap config * : range          = 1000000-1999999

    idmap config boost : backend     = rid

    idmap config boost : range       = 10000 - 49999

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        max log size = 50

        security = ADS

        passdb backend = tdbsam

        encrypt passwords = yes

        deadtime = 15

        local master = no

        load printers = no

        cups options = raw

The testparm command reports no issues.

Can't start Samba, as it wants winbindd. Not unexpected.

Can't start winbindd, as it wants to be joined to the domain first. Not
unexpected.

Net ADS join MEMBER doesn't ask for an Administrator ID or password;
instead, it asks for root's password.

Which I don't think it should do, since the net command was run as the root
user, and I'm trying to join a Windows domain, not adding this server to a
Samba domain.

Am I being "paranoid"? Does it usually ask for the root password?

I haven't supplied it and tried to continue - figured it would make more of
a mess if I did.

Have I not set something correctly in the Globals above?

(The shares were stripped out, as I'm not trying to get that far yet)

Any other Samba advice?

Anything and everything appreciated!

Regards,

Bob Wyatt