[Samba] general question: mixed releases

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Feb 25 08:50:03 UTC 2020

2 steps.
apt-get dist-upgrade -dy
apt-get dist-upgrade -y --autoremove --purge

> At that site we run 2 DCs (so far samba-4.10.x) and 2 DMs (one 4.10.x,
> one 4.11.x since yesterday)
>
> I assume it's not wrong or problematic to mix releases and have DMs on
> 4.11 and DCs on 4.10 ?
No problems seen here.

> Anything to consider here?
Prepair it, take the time and clean up old packages after.
Check for example : dpkg -l |egrep "deb[7-9]|wheezy|jessie|stretch"

> Is it preferrable to upgrade the DCs first (4.10 -> 4.11) or
> do the DMs
> first (as I started)?
Does not matter really.

> As always we need stability *and* want to use modern software ;-)
>
> Touching the DCs seems more critical to me: more complex,
> more stuff to
> break ...

If the base is set ok, upgrading should not be a problem.

Greetz,

Louis