[Samba] Mac OS and interpretation of @ in a username. Ex user at mds.xyz doesn't work on Mac OS but does on Win 10

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 22 02:18:51 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-02-21 at 20:48 -0500, TomK wrote:

> > "Sadly this really appears to be is a client issue.  You see there the
> > string Samba gets, so by the time Samba tries the process it the @ is
> > already interpreted and the string split.
> >
> > Sorry!
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett"
> >
> > Yeah, wondering if there is a way to tell Samba NOT to split that up and
> > treat joe at mds.xyz as a single user.  This works fine in Win 10 so I
> > agree, it's probably a client SMB configuration issue but would like to
> > know exactly what that config issue is.
> >

>   + or what paramaters I could change to ensure the string isn't split up.

You can't change it on the Samba side, you could try logging in as
SERVER\joe at mds.xyz or see if you can re-map it server-side with the
various username map options.

You need to realise that the protocol has a domain field and a username
one.  Well behaved clients know that user at realm style usernames need to
all be in the username field, not split up client-side (and left to the
DC to interpret), but even Samba got this wrong for quite some time.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett