[Samba] Upgrading Samba and Ubuntu: how to proceed?

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Tue Feb 18 17:55:56 UTC 2020

If you're concerned with non-samba OS upgrade changes (network interfaces,
resolv.conf, etc.), I wouldn't touch that machine until a replacement is
already in place.

So join a new 18.04 DC, demote the 16.04, then nuke-pave-rebuild as 18.04
and run with 2 DC's.

Pre-built 4.11 (and others) repo here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
Upgrade tips here (Debian, but YMMV):
http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt

Louis even has a writeup for 18.04, too:
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/full-howto-Ubuntu18.04-samba-AD_DC.txt

Kris Lou
klou at themusiclink.net