[Samba] Where do I start?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Feb 18 13:57:03 UTC 2020

Pfew.. Thats a big question..

I suggest start reading here:

This is the most important part you should think about.
The checklist for you hostname and domainname and ip addresses.

You need to have this info before you install, because we don't want to change to much after you installed your server base.

There are rules to follow to make sure you servers work as they should.
This is covert in the internet standards: Request For Change (RFC).
And per example, these 2 shown RFC's involve the "example" setups.
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6761

Domain name choices for these examples/howto's.
- StandAlone: Home use: private.example
- StandAlone/Internet/business use :    example.tld
- Office domainname office. example.tld

! Dont use .local or .lan these are reserved names for Apple's mDNS
See:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local and  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762.

Other good articals with examples:
 https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34981.active-directory-best-practices-for-internal-domain-and-network-names.aspx.
And a security consideration:  https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-144A  (Leaking DNS info)

And since most of my howto's will involve a Active Directory, this is a must read :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/909264/naming-conventions-in-active-directory-for-computers-domains-sites-and
And looking at table 6.2 here:
 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-2000-server/cc959336(v=technet.10)
Example of "lables" as mentioned in table 6.2
(hostname(=label).office(= label).example(= label).tld( = label)

Resumé :
When you combine these rules, we end up with something like this example: hostname.office.example.tld

We want to setup so its compatible for any setup.
- hostname , min 1, max 15 characters, a-Z,0-9, -
- DNS domain name, max total FQDN 254 characters, include the dot's.
    And 254-15, results in 239 characters left for the domain.tld part.

    NOTE : The FQDN for an Active Directory domain name is limited to 64 bytes,
    including the dots, an Active directory server name example : s4ad01.office.example.tld

Then go read :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller

Greetz,

Louis