[Samba] Provisioning fails - Codebase question

michael at chameleonoriginals.com michael at chameleonoriginals.com
Thu Feb 13 02:46:04 UTC 2020

I had already found your work.  I abandoned your code, since the
approach I tried within the last couple of weeks or so failed, since it
(or my earlier work) didn't support arm64 architecture.  I'm hoping I
just stepped away prematurely.  I have just gone from never building
from source before to having made 40-plus attempts just within the last
month, so have learned a lot since I first tried your code.

Cross your fingers.  I'll give this a shot.  Your email takes steps
towards answering questions I anticipated asking once I get Samba to
build.

If this does work, I'll need to "steal" some of your approach, since it
breaks one of my core rules for the script I'm building.  I am making
every effort to ask all questions within the first few minutes, and then
let the user walk away until it has reached 100%.  I will gladly give
you lots of credit in my repo's readme and the script itself!

Especially since you include one-of-many choices, you may want to take a
look at whiptail.  I know it's installed by default on raspbian and
Ubuntu (as well as many other distros).  It offers radio lists,
checklists, yes/no among other options in terminal sessions.  You can
take a look at my repos at https://github.com/ChameleonGeek/ (especially
ebin-dc/kernel.sh).  I use whiptail extensively for user selection and
inputs.  It prevents user typos and makes your scripts look more
professional :)

I hear you work with the RasPi.  So do I.  You might like the
EspressoBin.  The support sucks, but the hardware is sweet.  It yawns
where the RasPi sweats, and is still less than $100 US including SD
card.  My project is an attempt to help work around some of the shoddy
support.  It won't do some of the things the Pi does, but does some of
the things the Pi can't.  It blows the Pi out of the water for anything
that requires high network <-> drive performance.

On 2020-02-12 08:05, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> #waving hi..
>
> What i suggest to try, add the source line in apt also.
Not quite sure what you mean by this...Add additional sources to
/etc/apt/sources...?