[Samba] Incorrect group name is displayed in folder permission list in Windows

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Wed Feb 12 10:36:08 UTC 2020

Hello,

Samba file server
- OS = CentOS 7
- Samba version = 4.9 (from CentOS repos)

Samba AD server
- OS = Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
- Samba version = 4.7 (from Ubuntu repos)

Windows client OS = Windows 10 Pro 1909

Problem:
Incorrect group name is displayed in folder permission list in Windows, just
as described in this Windows support article
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2928800/incorrect-group-name-is-displayed-in-folder-permission-list-in-windows>

Steps to reproduce:
- Create a domain local group
- Add a user to the domain local group
- Apply an ACL to a folder on the samba file server using the domain local
group as the principal
- Use RSAT to change the name of the domain local group in samba AD
- View the ACL - it still shows the old domain local group name

Is there any way to get the ACL to display the new group name?

I know I can create a new group, add users to the new group, use the new
group in an ACL, delete the old principal from the ACL, then finally delete
the old group, but that's a fair bit of work.

--

Mason Schmitt

Faster Than Light Computing Inc.

(250) 804-4365 Ext. 203

mason at ftlcomputing.com

*Relationship-Driven IT Support Services*