[Samba] FW: samba_kcc issue after joining the domain as a DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 12 09:53:51 UTC 2020

On 12/02/2020 09:24, Alex via samba wrote:
> Rowland,  I really appreciate your help and you're probably right. But could you
> please  shed  some  light  on why yours is correct (or why mine is not)? At this
> moment, my AD is fully functional, no issues at all.

When Active Directory was introduced (2K), it used a different DNS setup
to what is used now, this changed when Windows 2003 was introduced, but
they didn't enforce the dns upgrade. This meant that many people didn't
upgrade the DNS when they upgraded the server. We are now seeing a few
reports of problems like yours, normally when trying to join Samba as a
DC to an existing Windows domain.

Samba initially used the 2K DNS, but quickly moved to the later DNS
system, so, if mine is wrong, then everyone else's is wrong.

It seems to work correctly, until you try to join another DC.

> In my humble opinion, this looks more like a bug in Samba joining procedure, b/c
> it should work well the existing AD configuration. However, it doesn't.
If it is a bug and I do not accept it is, I doubt if it will be fixed,
because if the DNS is correct, everything works correctly.
>> I could probably dump a list of dns DN's if needed.
> Yes, please do.

Will do, I will send it to you offlist.

Rowland