[Samba] Provisioning fails - Codebase question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Feb 11 09:38:36 UTC 2020

On 10/02/2020 22:34, michael at chameleonoriginals.com wrote:
> I should have included this in the last response.  The ExpressoBin v7
> has a Marvell Armada 3700LP (88F3720) dual core ARM Cortex A53 (arm64)
> CPU, 1GB RAM.
>
> Seeing that Samba 4.7.6 isn't working, I have stepped into building
> Samba from source (first attempt was 4.11.6).  After identifying quite
> a few dependencies not listed on Samba's own page identifying Ubuntu
> 18.04 dependencies, the make process seemed to go fairly well (but
> with quite a few warnings).  Note that I'm giving Samba the benefit of
> the doubt since I'm doing this on a SoC rather than a full PC or server.

Which set of dependencies did you follow ?

On our wiki page:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba

There are two sets, an older set (that may or may not be correct) or the
ones that you should follow, these are under the heading 'Verified
Package Dependencies'

> After nearly two hours of apparent success in the compile process, it
> completely blows up with a huge number of "libsamba-passdb.so:
> <different function names> has been removed - please update major
> version"
No real idea about this, perhaps missing dependencies leading to
something not being built.

> I will be stepping back a few releases for the next attempt, but am
> wondering if you could point me to a "build from source for dummies"
> that doesn't fit the standard mold by speaking as if the user has done
> so for years?

Not really, I haven't built Samba for sometime, but it was very simple,
install the correct dependencies, run (as a normal user) './configure',
followed by 'make', followed by (as root) 'make install'. This should
lead to all of Samba being installed in /usr/local/samba

If you want to build Samba packages, then perhaps Louis can help here
(when he gets time), he builds packages for the raspberrypi.

Rowland