[Samba] Provisioning fails - Codebase question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 10 08:43:52 UTC 2020

On 10/02/2020 01:24, michael at chameleonoriginals.com wrote:
> It is an EspressoBin v7, ext4 filesystem, Ubuntu 18.04.  I encountered
> previous failures saying I needed POSIX ALCs enabled, so am using a
> 4.4.52 kernel built from source with the EspressoBin required updates
> and POSIX ACLs (ext3 and ext4) enabled.
>
> tune2fs reports
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index
> filetype needs_recovery extent 64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file
> huge_file dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum
> Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
Much the same as my computer.

> I've seen the reports that this works on Ubuntu 18.04, which is why I
> have spent 5 weeks trying.  I've been tracing every
> report/tutorial/blog/video I can find trying to identify what I'm
> missing.  I have followed each step by step and am still against a
> brick wall.  Each how-to either has no room for comments or questions,
> or the author has moved on to other projects, so has stopped paying
> attention.  The one person who did respond says he did absolutely
> nothing before starting the tutorial, except that he says to use nano
> (which isn't installed by default on Ubuntu 18.04) to edit a file, and
> he already set the static IP for the system...I pointed this out and
> get nothing but crickets.

It definitely works on an Ubuntu 18.04 distro, it just seems to be a
problem with your SoC.

Have you read this:
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/full-howto-Ubuntu18.04-samba-AD_DC.txt

And this: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/File_System_Support

> Thank you for pointing out that Samba 4.7.6 uses Python 2.7.  I have
> specifically tried to find this through innumerable searches and found
> nothing that answers this. - Is it still using Samba 3 python code
> (samba.samba3.smbd.set_nt_acl), or is there a way to make it use Samba
> 4 modules?  If there is a way to force this, I'll gladly try but need
> a pointer in the right direction.
I personally think that python isn't the problem, it looks like your
filesystem isn't allowing the ACL's to be set.

> I could be considered an advanced user on Ubuntu, but am quite new at
> building custom OS images and kernels or building software from
> source, but learn very fast.
>
> The EspressoBin has really sad documentation and support.  As a piece
> of hardware, it's pretty sweet, especially for the price. I'm very
> critical of my fellow geeks, and how poorly most of us document our
> projects (like every tutorial I've found on this subject).  We're
> especially bad at documenting those hard-learned lessons which we now
> see as common sense.  I built a heavily annotated script for 16.04
> (which now fails) and am revising it for 18.04.  I have started a repo
> on GitHub specifically to outfit a first-boot EspressoBin as a
> functional DC, walking a day-one Linux user through the process of
> building the OS image and kernel and installing/configuring necessary
> and optional software, assuming I can pull this off.
I can assure that it works on ARM,well it does on my Rpi4, problem is,
you seem to be using a niche product.

Where is your github page, I couldn't find it with a google search.

Rowland