[Samba] How the program spoolss works ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 6 13:33:51 UTC 2020

On 06/02/2020 13:10, nathalie ramat via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I test samba 4.9.5 in my debian buster . Almost everything works. My
> last problem concerns the printers.
>
> I  could need some help explaining my logs .I have this :
>
> /usr/sbin/smbd: reloading printcap cache
>
> /usr/sbin/smbd: reload status: ok
>
> /usr/sbin/smbd: pid_to_procid: messaging_dgm_get_unique failed: Aucun
> fichier ou dossier de ce type
>
> /usr/sbin/smbd: send_all_fn: messaging_send_buf to 15718 failed:
> NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
>

> I want to use cups for my printers. Cups is ok - On my server, i can
> print all documents.
>
> I use in my smb.conf
>
> load printers = yes
> printing= cups
> printcap name = cups
> disable spoolss = no
>

> [printers]
>
> comment = all printers
> path=/var/spool/samba
> writable =yes
> printable =yes
> guest ok = yes
> use client driver = yes
>
> The above error message will appear but I can create my printer on my
> windows client .I can print also.
>

> The message disappeared when I use the command disable spoolss = yes
> but I can't create printer on my windows client.
>
> I obtains this message : spoolss is not a registered pipe .
> It's normal - I have disable it . spoolss is necessary.

Then why have you set 'use client driver = yes' on the 'printers' share ?

I suggest you read 'man smb.conf' paying particular notice to the
parameters you have set.

Can I also ask you not to post fragments of your smb.conf, please always
post the entire smb.conf (without any commented lines). The same goes
for log fragments, always post exactly what is in the log, do not prune
it like you seem to have done.

Rowland