[Samba] WERR_DNS_ERROR_NAME_DOES_NOT_EXIST when samba_dnsupdate tries to add to _msdcs

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Feb 5 08:23:32 UTC 2020

> > Should I jump on the bleeding edge with Samba 4.11 and
> Bind9 (version?)

Yes! Its not bleeding edge anymore ;-)..
4.11.0 thats bleeding edge, .6 not..

> > (I don't see any mention of the bugzilla bug getting addressed.)
> >
> > What versions of these would you recommend?
> > (fyi I am also planning to add dhcpd to this server to
> eventually phase out my old Windows Servers.)

I would go for Debian 10, Bind9_dlz and Samba 4.11.6
Ubuntu fine too, but use samba 4.11.6 if your setting up new.

> The problem is most likely because you came from a Windows
> 2003 domain
> which used a very different DNS setup. Samba expects the DNS records
> from a 2008R2 domain and unless you can fix this, your domain
> is never
> going to work correctly.
>
> The problem is explained here:
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/817470/how-to-reconfi
> gure-an-msdcs-subdomain-to-a-forest-wide-dns-application
>
> Does anyone know how to do this on a Samba AD DC ????

Maybe install samba with bind9_dlz and downgrade it to samba internal DNS and upgrade it again?
Might work.

> Rowland

Greetz,

Louis
Ok, as of now, low responce, back to work..