[Samba] Failover DC did not work when Main DC failed

Kris Lou klou at themusiclink.net
Mon Feb 3 18:49:46 UTC 2020

> Do you have command line for doing this?

>From windows:
echo %logonserver%
nltest /dsgetdc:<domain>

>From a *nix domain member (i.e. client, not DC), using winbind:
winbind --getdcname=<domain>
winbind --ping-dc

For the Windows desktops and the QNAP server, they have the IP addresses
> for both DCs in their respective DNS settings.
> For a Windows desktop tested this morning, the command nslookup defaults
> to DC3 at 192.168.0.218 but when that was "down" DNS queries timed out.

That's probably expected.  I don't think nslookup can query multiple DNS
servers at once.  But is DC4 actually responding to DNS queries?  Compare
"nslookup <domain> <DC3-ip>" and "nslookup <domain> <DC4-ip>", which will
hopefully tell you that both DC3/DC4 are capable of answering queries.

This DNS timeout on "standard traffic" is probably what you need to figure
out then.

And I hate to ask, but are both samba and bind set to automatically start
after boot (on the DC's)?