[Samba] Ldapsearch against Samba AD returns records outside the search base

Palle Kuling ltm at mnwa.net
Mon Feb 3 16:17:35 UTC 2020

Hello,

I did some detective work here, stepping through all the versions from
the old 4.9.4 database onwards, building them from source on an isolated
system and doing ldapsearch against them. It is the change from 4.10.13
to 4.11.0 (or maybe in general from pre-4.11 to 4.11?) that breaks it;
after that the onelevel scope is not applied correctly.

Ldbsearch also returns wrong results when used with your commands (it
took me a while to figure out that I needed "tls verify peer = no_check"
and "ldap server require strong auth = no" to be able to run the query):

samba-4.11.0$ /usr/local/samba/bin/ldbsearch -H ldaps://dc01 -s one -b
ou=business,dc=internal,dc=xxx,dc=yy samaccountname=testadmin -Uusername
Password for [XXX\username]:
# record 1
dn: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy
<snip>
distinguishedName: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

samba-4.11.0$ sudo /usr/local/samba/bin/ldbsearch -H
ldb:///usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -s one -b
ou=business,dc=internal,dc=xxx,dc=yy samaccountname=testadmin -Uusername
# record 1
dn: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy
<snip>
distinguishedName: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

Also, it seems that I was wrong about ldbsearch directly against the
backend DB working - it is simply because I forgot to use the "one"
scope, which seems to be the culprit here:

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d# ldbsearch -H
DC\=INTERNAL\,DC\=XXX\,DC\=YY.ldb -b
ou=business,dc=internal,dc=xxx,dc=yy samaccountname=testadmin
# returned 0 records
# 0 entries
# 0 referrals

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d# ldbsearch -H
DC\=INTERNAL\,DC\=XXX\,DC\=YY.ldb -s one -b
ou=business,dc=internal,dc=xxx,dc=yy samaccountname=testadmin
# record 1
dn: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy
<snip>
distinguishedName: CN=Test Admin,OU=Test,DC=internal,DC=xxx,DC=yy

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

In order to test whether it happens on a joined DC or not, I need to
spin off some isolated test VM:s, so I'd have to come back on that in a
few days.

Regards,
-P