[Samba] Debuging LDAP queries on Samba AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 3 04:11:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2019-12-09 at 13:19 +0000, David Wells via samba wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been working with openldap for many many years and I have found
> very usefull to turn debuging all the way on with loglevel -1 in
> slapd.conf to be able to inspect in the log the queries being sent to
> the server. I am now using samba 4.10.8 as a DC and a general purpose
> LDAP server and I havent found how to debug the queries that the
> server receives to try and figure out what might be wrong with what
> the clients are sending. Is there a way to enable such logging?

We do log it, but at level 10 which is just horribly noisy,
particularly for things that touch ldb.

Perhaps try:

 log level = 10 ldb:0

Look for

SearchRequest
 basedn: ....
 filter: ....

or SearchRequst: filter: [....]

This code is so-unloved it appears to print the search twice, but this
might give you a place to start.

Sorry for the delay in the response.

Andrew Bartlett

--