[Samba] temporary winbindd issue

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 28 10:21:07 UTC 2020

On 28/12/2020 09:39, Andrea Cucciarre' via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my Samba share was working perfectly and then suddenly was not
> available to windows client.
> The Samba server is a Domain member and the command "wbinfo -u" and
> "getent passwd" returned no AD users.
> The service has been recovered merely by restarting the winbindd service
> We are running Samba 4.9.5 and my smb.conf is as below, I have also
> pasted some (relevant?) logs
> Are you aware of any known issue or miss-configuration?

You can remove these lines from your smb.conf, they have no effect with
the winbind backends you are using:

idmap config * : schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config MERCURIA : schema_mode = rfc2307

You are shooting yourself in the foot, not only do you have 'winbind
enum' lines (which you definitely do not require), you also have
'winbind expand groups = 10', this will work poor old winbind to death
😁 I suggest you remove those lines.

Rowland