[Samba] UNIX groups no longer recognized after SAMBA migration

tbuchanan at vinu.edu tbuchanan at vinu.edu
Fri Dec 18 17:53:22 UTC 2020

I recently upgraded a CentOS 6 stand alone SAMBA server to CentOS 8 by
detaching the /home data partition, installing CentOS 8 and then
reattaching the /home data partition, copying the old /etc/samba/smb.conf
to the new server and then using Webmin to copy the users and groups from
the old server to the new one.  I had performed this same migration in a
similar fashion successfully (except for having to re-add all users as
SAMBA users using smbpasswd -a ) earlier.  However in this instance, I set
Webmin to synchronize SAMBA user accounts _and_ groups duing the batch
migration of UNIX users and groups.  Now, SAMBA no longer seems to
recognize the UNIX groups.  When I compared the 2 migrations, I realized
that the first migration did nothing with SAMBA groups so I deleted all
the SAMBA groups created for the 2nd migration but that makes no
difference -- UNIX groups are still no longer recognized.  Can someone
explain why this might be?  I migrated from samba4-4.2.10-15.el6.x86_64 on
CentOS 6 to samba-4.12.3-12.el8.3.x86_64 on CentOS 8.  Below is the
smb.conf with a share that is giving problems.  Before the migration, all
I had to do was to add a user to the UNIX group and proper access was
obtained.  Now, it seems I have to chmod the shared folder to 777 and
individually add the UNIX user to users, valid users, and write list in
smb.conf.  If I had copied /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb from the old
server to the new one, would the SAMBA users have come across intact with
passwords?  Anything else I should have copied?  This is puzzling to me
since I did the same steps, with the exception of syncing UNIX groups to
SAMBA groups in Webmin, as the first migration which was successful. Thank
you.

[global]
        use sendfile = Yes
        min protocol = SMB2
        deadtime = 460
        local master = No
        write raw = No
        unix extensions = No
        idmap config * : range =
        ldap ssl = no
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        veto files =
/*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/autorun.inf/._*/.DS_Store/
        printcap name = /dev/null
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        security = user
        delete veto files = yes
        lanman auth = Yes
        server string = City
        netbios name = CITY
        map readonly = no
        store dos attributes = Yes
        show add printer wizard = no
        ea support = Yes
        load printers = no
        auto services = global
        disable spoolss = yes
        workgroup = MIC
        dns proxy = No
        max log size = 50
        os level = 20
        map archive = No
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        domain master = No
#       posix locking = no
#       veto oplock files =
/*.MDB/*.LDB/*.mdb/*.ldb/*.doc/*.xls/*.dbf/*.DBF/*.CDX/*.$
#       kernel oplocks = yes

[homes]
        recycle:noversions = *.doc|*.ppt|*.dat|*.ini
        recycle:excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
#       level2 oplocks = No
        recycle:touch = Yes
        vfs objects = recycle
#       oplocks = No
        browseable = No
        writeable = yes
        recycle:subdir_mode = 0770
        recycle:exclude =
*.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??|*.log|*.trace|*.TMP
        comment = Home Directories
        recycle:versions = Yes
        recycle:repository = .recycle
        recycle:directory_mode = 0770

[Continuing_Education]
        force directory mode = 06777
        create mode = 775
        directory mode = 775
        create mask = 0771
        strict locking = No
        recycle:exclude =
*.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??|*.log|*.trace|*.TMP
        inherit acls = Yes
        force create mode = 0777
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:directory_mode = 0777
        user = debby,amy,ann, at continuing_ed
        recycle:subdir_mode = 0777
        path = /home/continuing_ed
        recycle:excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache
        vfs objects = recycle
        recycle:versions = Yes
        writeable = yes
        inherit permissions = Yes
        directory mask = 0771
        recycle:touch = Yes
        recycle:repository = .recycle
        recycle:noversions = *.doc|*.ppt|*.dat|*.ini
        valid users = debby,amy,ann, at continuing_ed
        write list = debby,amy,ann, at continuing_ed

--
Ted Buchanan