[Samba] Samba 4 custom ports for DNS in 2020?

Alex Orlov ooo_saturn7 at mail.ru
Wed Dec 16 20:20:11 UTC 2020

>> So, the question is not about why I need it, but if samba supports
>> these absolute normal modern requirements in 2020 or not.
>>
>> And if not, could anyone say if there are plans to implement it?
>
> No and No.
….
> Finally, while we have offered per service port configuration in the
>past, we are trying to reduce the number of configuration options in
>Samba to keep things manageable and to ensure that it is harder for
>users to accidentally create un-tested and unworkable installations.

If you are talking about ports that belong only to Samba, I can agree with you.

However, if we are talking about external service ports, for example DNS,
than this is a very controversial decision. It was controversial in 2015
see your post  https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-February/189631.html
and it is very controversial in 2020.

Of course, I am not a member of Samba Team, however, I hope that these arguments
someone from the Team will find useful:

1) A good server software must be flexible to allow build different solutions.
2) To use different services on one interface we use ports, but not virtual interfaces.
3) When we use services we (in almost all configurations I saw) provide host:port.
So, it is absolutely normally to make DNS forwarding not to IP, but to IP:port.
4) If we follow your logic that users can create un-tested and unworkable installations
we need to forbid system administrators to edit configuration files.

--
Best regards, Alex Orlov