[Samba] Samba 4 custom ports for DNS in 2020?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 16 19:54:09 UTC 2020

On 16/12/2020 19:39, Alex Orlov via samba wrote:
> @Rowland
>
> With your discussion you are moving my question in a quite wrong direction.Why, because I have read such discussions
> about custom ports and saw that they didn’t give any good results.
You seem to ask questions without really giving the context of why you
are asking them. I read your question as you wanting to run two dns
servers on one machine, if I am wrong, say so.

> If you want you can consider the following reasons:
> *  if I ask it, then I need it for configuration I want to build.
Yes, but what you want to build might not be valid and have been tried
before.
> *  Modern service programs allow to set custom ports because they provide flexibility in integration solutions.
> *  Modern service programs don’t require virtual interfaces to configure frontend and backend as they use ports.
> So, the question is not about why I need it, but if samba supports these absolute normal modern requirements in 2020 or not.
Samba, like Microsoft, doesn't support what you are asking.
> And if not, could anyone say if there are plans to implement it?

Very much doubt it.

Rowland