[Samba] Samba 4 custom ports for DNS in 2020?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 16 19:47:59 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 22:39 +0300, Alex Orlov via samba wrote:

> @Rowland
>

> With your discussion you are moving my question in a quite wrong
> direction.Why, because I have read such discussions
>
> about custom ports and saw that they didn’t give any good results.
>

> If you want you can consider the following reasons:
>
> *  if I ask it, then I need it for configuration I want to build.
>
> *  Modern service programs allow to set custom ports because they
> provide flexibility in integration solutions.
>
> *  Modern service programs don’t require virtual interfaces to
> configure frontend and backend as they use ports.
>
> So, the question is not about why I need it, but if samba supports
> these absolute normal modern requirements in 2020 or not.
>
> And if not, could anyone say if there are plans to implement it?

No and No.

Also, please understand that it is very normal and expected to be
questioned about the reasons behind any questions here.  We find many
questions asked come from a set of assumptions that first need to be
tested - the solution is very often in challenging those assumptions
rather than in a change needed in Samba.

Even if the assumptions hold, we need to understand the context to give
the best advise.

Finally, while we have offered per service port configuration in the
past, we are trying to reduce the number of configuration options in
Samba to keep things manageable and to ensure that it is harder for
users to accidentally create un-tested and unworkable installations.

Andrew Bartlett