[Samba] Domain admins group missing from domain member

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:12:50 UTC 2020

> Hi all,
> I'm having a strange issue with one of my samba domains that I hope you can help with.
> Simply put, getent group|grep "domain admins" returns (as expected) domain admins:x:3000061:on both my DC's , but comes out
> empty on both linux domain members.
[snip]

getent group will not show the AD groups unless the line:

	winbind enum groups = yes

is in the global section of smb.conf.  Similarly getent users will not show the users in AD without the line:

	winbind enum users = yes

in smb.conf.

Try getent group "domain admins" - it should give you the appropriate output.

Not sure why it works on the DCs though without the above lines in smb.conf though.

HTH

Roy