[Samba] placing sam.ldb (was dns.keytab doesn't exist)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 11 21:44:11 UTC 2020

On 11/12/2020 21:20, Dan Egli wrote:

> Problem is: that sam.ldb is the one that's broken (empty) I think.
> There's ANOTHER sam.ldb in /var/lib/samba/private that's a bit bigger:
> -rw-rw---- 1 root named 4694016 Dec 10 18:05
> /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
>
> So if samba is looking for a sam.ldb in /var/lib/samba/bind-dns should
> I copy the one from private over?

No, it looks like something went wrong with the upgrade to Bind9, try
reading these:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_BIND_DNS_Server

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_DNS_Back_End_of_a_Samba_AD_DC

I am not entirely sure just how you have got to where you are now, but
if everything is done correctly (the right commands at the right time)
everything should be created/moved for you with minimal manual intervention.

Rowland