[Samba] rights -- structures

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 11 17:51:27 UTC 2020

On 11/12/2020 17:10, Maurizio Caloro via samba wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have now AD 4.13.2 and FileServer with samba 4.9.5 this are joint to
> Domain.
I take it that means you have a Samba AD DC running 4.13.2 and a
fileserver running 4.9.5 that is joined to your Samba AD domain.
> I need to create now new a file Share permission structure.
The structure is entirely up to you
> If setting the Domain User and the smbadmin this are a possible structure
> that I can assign different rights folders ?
>
> Domain Users:smbadmin                            /
Slight problem, it looks like you want to set the owner to 'Domain
Users' and the group to 'smbadmin', I take it you really meant
'smbadmin:Domain Users', as a group cannot own things on Unix.
>                  Domain Users:smbadmin            /FolderName-DATA
>                  Domain Users:smbadmin            /FolderName-PICTURES
>                  Domain Users:smbadmin            /FolderName-PICTURES

As I said, the actual structure is up to you, but I wouldn't set it up
under one share, I would  use a share for each directory

Try reading this:

It may help if you can post the smb.conf files you are using.

Rowland