[Samba] dns.keytab doesn't exist

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Fri Dec 11 06:26:52 UTC 2020

I was reading on the samba wiki about how to use bind9_dlz as the DNS
backend for an AD Domain, but in the setup instructions for bind given
in the wiki it says to be sure to include the line tkey-gssapi-keytab
"/var/lib/samba/bind-dns/dns.keytab"; in my named.conf file, in the
options section. That's great, except I don't HAVE a dns.keytab file
anywhere on the system. I've looked at the page carefully and nothing
says where the file comes from. Only that it's in the
/var/lib/samba/bind-dns directory, but on my system that directory is
empty. Is this something that bind is going to create or something? I'm
a bit lost. Any help is appreciated!

In case anyone is wondering, I'm using bind because the system already
has bind on it to serve internet DNS requests. So rather than try to
figure out how to let samba maintain it's own internal DNS cache and
still have the main one, I just figured I'd let bind handle the whole thing.

--
Dan Egli
 From my Test Server