[Samba] second dc not working properly

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 9 11:14:32 UTC 2020

On 08/12/2020 23:20, Jason Keltz via samba wrote:

> On 12/8/2020 4:35 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 08/12/2020 21:09, Jason Keltz via samba wrote:
>>> I'm running Samba 4.11.16 on CentOS 7 and not having much luck with
>>> failover to a second domain controller.  I could *really* use some
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I know my Samba config is fine.  I know that adding the second
>>> domain controler was fine.  Replication is working perfectly. No
>>> errors.   If I stop the DC processes on either server, Windows
>>> clients appear to failover perfectly fine.
>>>
>>> The problem seems to affect my Linux clients (CentOS 7) running
>>> winbind.
>>>
>>> Let's say a CentOS 7 client X is connected to dc2, and I stop the DC
>>> processes on dc2....  The odd time, the client will connect to dc1
>>> almost right away, and everything just works the way it should
>>> always work.
>>>
>>> However, most of the time, I stop the DC processes on dc2, the
>>> client will connect to dc1, I can even do a "wbinfo -u" or "wbinfo
>>> -g", but "whoami" reveals "user doesn't exist". Somewhere between
>>> 20-50 minutes later, it just "magically" works.  The timing doesn't
>>> seem consistent.  Even a reboot doesn't fix things when it's in this
>>> state.
>>>
>>> I've tried to follow the Samba logs, but I really can't figure out
>>> what's up.  Andrew? Jeremy? Anyone?
>>>
>>> I don't think this can be just my system.  I suspect there's a lot
>>> of users out there running multiple DCs with a similar setup to me,
>>> believing that it's all working, and maybe, because there hasn't
>>> been a failure, everything works great, but who knows what will
>>> happen when there's actually a failure.
>>>
>>> Jason.
>>>

>> Try adding these lines to the /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux clients:
>>
>> options rotate
>>
>> options timeout:1

> Hi Rowland,
>

> Here's something that may help jog your memory if you've heard of this
> happening before.....
>
> So my machine was connected to dc2...  wbinfo -u is giving me nothing
> now, yet wbinfo -g is working fine.
>

> This sure has me puzzled.

The fact that 'wbinfo -g' works, seems to suggest that the DC is being
connected to, so why does 'wbinfo -u' not work ?

Unfortunately you cannot select which DC to use with wbinfo, bu you can
with net, so try this when 'wbinfo -u' doesn't work: net usersidlist -S
DCHOSTNAME

Replace 'DCHOSTNAME' with the running DC's hostname.

If you get output it shows that your DC is working and the problem lies
elsewhere.

Rowland