[Samba] CIFS share hangs on Debian

Dale Harris rodmur at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 12:48:57 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm seeing some issues CIFS mounts on systems running Debian 9 and 10.  The
Debian 9 system seems to have more issues, I suspect there is a kernel bug.
But when trying to write a file to a CIFS mount, I occasionally see errors
like:

[Thu Dec  3 11:08:32 2020] CIFS VFS: Server XXXXX has not responded in 120
seconds. Reconnecting...
[Thu Dec  3 11:08:32 2020] CIFS VFS: Free previous auth_key.response =
ffff8be599d06800
[Thu Dec  3 16:33:47 2020] CIFS VFS: Close unmatched open
[Thu Dec  3 20:35:31 2020] CIFS VFS: Close unmatched open

The Debian 10 systems see the same reconnection and "Free previous
auth_key.response" messages but don't see the "Close unmatched open"
messages.

I'm seeing some suggestions these issues are related to some potential
kernel bugs, but I'm not seeing any specific fixes for Debian, so perhaps I
should be inquiring via Debian channels, but I was wondering if anything
for certain?

--
Dale Harris
rodmur at gmail.com