[Samba] Password question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 3 11:10:32 UTC 2020

On 03/12/2020 10:32, Dan Egli via samba wrote:
> I was in the final stages of setting up my Samba AD DC when I realized
> I'd forgotten the password I assigned to the test user I setup. So I
> looked at samba-tool to figure out how to change it. And I see TWO
> password commands. I see samba-tool user password and user
> setpassword. The help messages says password is for the authentication
> password. Okay, so what's setpassword? And which would I use to test
> winbind authentication against the DC?  i.e. login to box2, box2 polls
> winbind, winbind polls box1 (AD DC) which replies with a yes or no for
> successful login.
>
> Thanks!

'samba-tool user password' requires the old password to allow changing
it. If a user runs the command, they will be prompted for their old
password and if they haven't provided the new password with
'--newpassword=NEWPASSWORD', they will be prompted for a new password
(twice)

'samba-tool user setpassword' allows root (or another admin user) to set
or reset another users password.

You wouldn't use either to test a password, they both set the password.
However you are correct, you can test the password by trying to log into
a domain joined machine.

Rowland