[Samba] Getting winbind to resolve unixHomeDirectory on AD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 2 19:44:31 UTC 2020

On 02/12/2020 18:30, Matthew Schumacher via samba wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This page says you can't use idmap parameters on a domain controller:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Failure_To_Access_Shares_on_Domain_Controllers_If_idmap_config_Parameters_Set_in_the_smb.conf_File

Yes, that page needs rewriting a bit, but what it says is essentially true.

> But this page says that you need "idmap config SAMDOM:unix_nss_info =
> yes" in order to get winbind to use the unixHomeDirectory for users
> logging in with pam.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
That is using idmap_ad, a DC uses idmap.ldb, a totally different beast
which uses xidNumber attributes.

> So, how do I get "wbinfo -i user" to assign the home directory listed
> in the unixHomeDirectory attribute on a domain controller?

Sorry, but you cannot, this is one of the reasons not to use a DC as a
fileserver, you have to use the 'template homedir' parameter and all
users get the same home directory path.

Rowland