[Samba] Strange logs: check_usershare_stat: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/ owned by uid 0 is not a regular file

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 1 22:32:32 UTC 2020

On 01/12/2020 22:23, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-12-01 at 14:19 -0800, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 10:08:34PM +0000, Rowland penny via samba
>> wrote:
>>
>>> could this have anything to do with it:
>>>
>>> 4.12.0
>>> Default: usershare max shares = 0
>>>
>>> 4.13.2
>>> Default: usershare max shares = 100
>> Good catch. Yes, that would cause
>> the usershare load path to be executed
>> now whereas it wasn't before.
> Even if we didn't change the default, Debian does.  But the code should
> work of course, be it enabled by default or by the administrator...
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Yes, it is Debian, just found this out by downloading the relevant file
from Louis's repo, they appear to be turning usershares on without
actually setting up usershares. I would suggest the code would work if
usershares were actually set up correctly, I have used usershares in the
past and I don't remember syslog getting spammed.

Rowland