[Samba] No DNS domain configured

Philip Offermans mail at philipoffermans.nl
Mon Aug 31 15:07:51 UTC 2020

I am trying to join an existing samba server but I get an error message that the DNS update failed. I have read that this doesn’t matter and the join is still successful. But the problem comes when I try to grant privileges to the unix admins.

root at dna:/home/pi# net ads join -U administrator
Enter administrator's password:
Using short domain name -- DOMAIN
Joined 'DNA' to dns domain ‘domain.local'
No DNS domain configured for dna. Unable to perform DNS Update.
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
root at dna:/home/pi#  net rpc rights grant “domain\Unix Admins" SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -U “domain\administrator"
Enter domain\administrator's password:
Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

CONFIG FILE DOMAIN MEMBER:
[global]

   netbios name = DNA
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   security = ADS
   realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL

   winbind refresh tickets = Yes
   vfs objects = acl_xattr
   map acl inherit = Yes
   store dos attributes = Yes

   kerberos method = secrets and keytab

   winbind use default domain = yes

   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

   username map = /etc/samba/user.map

[nas]
	path = /nas
	read only = no

CONFIG FILE DC:
[global]
	dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
	netbios name = GAIA
	realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
	workgroup = DOMAIN
	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        wins support = yes

[netlogon]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/rompen.local/scripts
	read only = No

[sysvol]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
	read only = No

/etc/hosts DOMAIN MEMBER:
192.168.88.3    dna     dna.domain.local
192.168.88.2    gaia    gaia.domain.local
127.0.0.1       gaia.rompen.nl gaia
127.0.0.1	localhost
::1		localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1		ip6-allnodes
ff02::2		ip6-allrouters

/etc/hosts DC:
127.0.0.1	localhost
::1		localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1		ip6-allnodes
ff02::2		ip6-allrouters

127.0.1.1	gaia

/etc/resolv.conf DOMAIN MEMBER:
# Generated by resolvconf
domain domain.local
nameserver 192.168.88.2

/etc/resolv.conf DC:
# Generated by resolvconf
domain domain.local
nameserver 192.168.88.2

IP DOMAIN MEMBER: 192.168.88.3
IP AD: 192.168.88.2

I think it is a network problem. But I can’t find out what I am doing wrong.