[Samba] Adding user to group doesn't propagate?

Harald Hannelius harald+samba at arcada.fi
Mon Aug 31 13:04:45 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Harald Hannelius wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Harald Hannelius via samba wrote:

>>> No, it hasn't been discussed before, it happened to myself a couple of
>>> weeks ago, I added the user to a group and 'id' didn't show the group,
>>> everything else showed the user was a group member. I just put it down to
>>> one of those things, but the following day, 'id' showed the group, so I
>>> think it must be a cache problem.
>>
>> I see.
>>
>> I just checked, and all other users who show up correctly in the new group
>> are indeed not logged on to the domain.
>>
>> Could it be that an active session locks the group memberships until the
>> user logs out and in again? This might even be exactly like Windows works
>> if I read correctly.

>>> I tried all that, it just worked the following day. The only thing I
>>> didn't do, raise the log level.
>>
>> Ok, I'll wait if the logout/login doesn't work.
>
> The user restarted their computer and presto: 'groups username' showed the
> new membership on the member-server.

Googling a problem, and finding one's own e-mail thread as the first hit. I
had already forgot about this.

Added a group on the DC, added two members to that group and at least on of
those are logged on to the domain. The group doesn't show up on a
member-server.

I will probably have to wait until tomorrow before I'm able to use that
group?

Are there plans to fix this so one can add groups and edit group
memberships faster?

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020