[Samba] Changing IP Scope on a Samba DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Aug 29 07:49:52 UTC 2020

On 29/08/2020 07:54, Peter Pollock via samba wrote:
> Andrew, I very much appreciate your swift reply and your expertise. I
> readily admit I'm a little out of my depth here. I'm sitting here in
> California at almost midnight with just the weekend to get done all I need
> to do on the network and I fear this may be derailing my plans.
>
> This article on the Samba Wiki
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_IP_Address_of_a_Samba_AD_DC seems
> to suggest I need to demote and repromote if I change the address, is that
> also the same if I change the subnet?
No, the DC's ipaddress points to the DC, so if you change either, it is
easier to demote and re-join rather than trying to change every instance
of the IP or name. You probably could change either, but, because they
are in numerous places, it is fraught with danger, you might miss some.

> I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm having severe problems with
> these servers and I really don't want to screw anything up because I try
> something stupid.

You probably have a reverse zone called '2.168.192.in-addr.arpa' (If
unsure 'samba-tool dns zonelist <dc_name> -P' will confirm this). If you
follow Andrew's suggestion (and I urge you to do so), you will need to
replace it with '168.192.in-addr.arpa'

Once this is done and you have recreated any fixed IP machines records,
dhcp should then recreate the other records for you.

Rowland