[Samba] accessing foreign AD users to NT domain

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Aug 27 15:01:17 UTC 2020

No, the point is..

User verfications
Computer verification
And Authentication.
These are 3 different things.

The differences, in terms.
NTLM KERBEROS DNS-lookups and how this all works together.

But i only type with lots of errors, this is better to read ;-)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/windows-authentication/credentials-processes-in-windows-authentication

I cant hammer enough on..
DNS/RESOLVING MUST BE PERFECT

A + PTR for the "real" registed server names.
CNAME for aliasses.

So much relies on this these days.
When its not perfect well, something "just" wont work.

And i run exacty what you want..
I have 3 separated domains.
A samba NT4DOM (3.6.X)
A Samba AD DOM  4.12.6
A Windows 2008R2

All my pcs and user login against the samba AD
All other re-uses the user/passwords from the AD login.

And i dont change registry keys to "make things work"..
All defaults in the clients except what i push with GPO's.

You know what you need todo.. Make it perfect again.
Because in computer good is not good enough..

You want perfect, or as close you can be to perfect.

Greetz,

Louis