[Samba] accessing foreign AD users to NT domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 27 13:49:51 UTC 2020

On 27/08/2020 14:19, Piviul via samba wrote:

>> Microsoft is enforcing more securitybut it's Microsoft that develop
>> NetBIOS and LLMNR and if it's enforcing
> security should enforce these protocols or remove them from their OS
> isn't it?

Microsoft ended support of NT4 servers over 15 years ago, but kept the
client code, but it is now actively trying to remove it, hence new
Windows 10 installs have SMBv1 turned off. You can never know just when
they will totally remove it, but I am sure it will be removed.

Samba is actively trying to remove SMBv1 and will deprecate it, along
with NT4-style domains, possibly at 4.13.0, but if not, definitely at 4.14.0

To put it bluntly, NT4-style domains have a limited life left and it
will probably be a toss-up who removes them first, Microsoft or Samba.

Rowland