[Samba] Creating a new Samba BDC and promoting to PDC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 26 18:12:29 UTC 2020

On 26/08/2020 18:54, Simon Matthews wrote:
> I think that the second method may be the way to go -- but that will
> mean that I will have new "users" on the Windows machines, so I will
> have to sort out some file ownership issues, correct?

If you create a new domain, it will be virtually an empty domain (just
the required users and groups to run it), so any users, groups and
computers will be new users. This means that any existing data will
belong to 'old' users and groups, even if they have the same name in the
'new'  domain, so yes you would have to reset all the permissions.

Rowland