[Samba] Creating a new Samba BDC and promoting to PDC

Simon Matthews simon.matthews at bluepearlsoftware.com
Wed Aug 26 17:54:03 UTC 2020

On 8/26/20 10:42 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 26/08/2020 18:29, Simon Matthews via samba wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for stopping me from wasting a lot of time with CentOS. Would
>> Ubuntu work?
> Yes, 20.04 comes with 4.11.x
>>
>> Reading the document, it looks like I don't actually have to get the new
>> DC running before the Classic Upgrade -- I just need to have the files
>> in appropriate locations. Is this correct?
>
> If you go down the classic upgrade route, you definitely do not
> provision a DC, the script does it for you using information from your
> old domain.
>
> There are two schools of thought, if you do the classic upgrade, you
> get all your users and groups etc from your old domain, along with any
> old ways of doing things (using RIDs for Unix IDs etc). The second is
> to create a new AD domain, this way you can specify just what Unix IDs
> etc. Either way has its plus and minus points.

I think that the second method may be the way to go -- but that will
mean that I will have new "users" on the Windows machines, so I will
have to sort out some file ownership issues, correct?

> Which ever way you go, I would suggest testing it in a walled off
> network, so you can iron out any problems before doing it for real.

I plan to use a NAT configuration of a VM to test it. That should wall
it off. I think I can add a Windows VM to the NAT "network" for testing.

Simon

Blue Pearl Software, Inc. will collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal information, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to the relevant sections of our Privacy note at www.bluepearlsoftware.com/privacypolicy.