[Samba] getting (FreeBSD port) patches upstream first

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Aug 26 13:53:51 UTC 2020

On Tue, August 25, 2020 21:11, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-08-25 at 14:12 -0400, Andrew Walker via samba wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:17 PM James B. Byrne via samba <
>> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>> > I believe that Timur has indeed submitted patches of this nature.
>> >

>> Timur did attempt to upstream the talloc patch here:
>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-February/125592.html
>
> I've looked this over, and this is exactly the right example, as it
> happens.  There was a great discussion about the patch, and ultimately
> it was rejected.
>
> This is good feedback, and should not have been ignored in my view.
> Note that I said 'are not upstream', not 'have not been submitted
> upstream'.
>
> The gap between those two things ends up being the issue here, which is
> when patches we (as the Samba Team) don't agree with are still applied
> by distributors and porters, all the QA, experience etc applied to
> Samba.org releases is just discarded.
>
> It also just makes bug triage much harder, and we have seen here that
> triage of FreeBSD issues is hard enough right now.
>
> Now of course there are always matters of degree in this, but is is an
> important principle to start with.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I am not arguing for or against anyone's position on this.

Without those patches Samba will not provision as an AD-DC on FreeBSD.  The
choice for users of FreeBSD therefor is between something that works, and is
deprecated upstream, or nothing at all.

Regards,

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3