[Samba] Creating a new Samba BDC and promoting to PDC

Simon Matthews simon.matthews at bluepearlsoftware.com
Tue Aug 25 23:33:40 UTC 2020

If I go with the suggestion to just set up a new AD-DC server, how do I
move my data to this from the old server (which uses TDBSAM)?

Simon

On 8/10/20 2:34 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> [...]
move my data to this from the old server (which uses TDBSAM)? Can I just
copy the files in /var/lib/samba/?

The old server is running Samba 4.2.11, and, because of decisions made
by a former manager, can no longer be updated. My plan is to migrate to
CentOS 7. My approach is going to be to set up the new server in a NAT
jail, so that I can get it working without worrying about the clients.
Then, when I am satisfied it is working, to fully expose it on the LAN.

Simon

> You can, if the username/password are the same, setup like this:
>
> DOM\
> NEWDOM\
>
> Passthrougth auth will work for windows..
>
>    winbind use default domain = yes
>
>    to make it see as user:group again
>

> I see you use Centos, im not much help with Centos, sorry. Im a Debian guy,
> but with above you can setup new and keep old running as far its needed.
> :-/ doing that for 4 years now.. But not im really moving my last smb1 servers out.
> New pc's are added to the new domain with in GPO a drive mapping to old servers.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Blue Pearl Software, Inc. will collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal information, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to the relevant sections of our Privacy note at www.bluepearlsoftware.com/privacypolicy.