[Samba] smbclient mask command seems not to work the same way with recurse ON for mget and mput

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 24 18:45:24 UTC 2020

On 24/08/2020 19:16, LPC DPG via samba wrote:
> Dear Rowland.
>
> So sorry, I did not get the responses to this e-mail address, got them by
> the purest change googling again.
>
> I'm sorry to disagree with your approach:
>
> 1-. In my most recent updates you should have seen I am compiling Samba4
> from source. Began with packaged distribution, but considering it might be
> a bug, I decided to test myself. 4 different versions, same behaviour. This
> means in my humble opinion it has nothing to do with the operating system
> version or its "commercial" support.
>
> 2-. This is a basic feature; there is nothing strange in how the DC or the
> Linux server are configured. So a basic issue with a basic feature
> suggests, again in my humble opinion, there is a kind of misunderstanding
> or regression bug here.
>
> Will you please confirm it should works as described by man? I have look
> into client.c, and the way cmd_mget and cmd_mput are programmed differs.

To ensure you get this, I have sent it direct to you and to the list ;-)

OEL 6 is very old and probably doesn't have the required versions of the
dependencies needed to correctly compile the supported versions of Samba.

You do not say what versions of Samba you are compiling, but unless they
are supported by Samba and still have the problem you are suffering
from, you have very, very, little chance of getting it fixed.

Samba should work as the man pages suggest, but if it doesn't and it is
a supported version, it should get fixed. Having said that, problems do
get fixed on a regular basis, so a problem may get fixed in supported
(at the time) versions, but would not get backported to unsupported
versions unless a distro decided to do so. Once a problem is fixed in
supported versions and not backported, it will not be fixed again in
later versions (there would be no point) unless it is a regression.

You have a problem, but your distro is about to die and your version of
Samba is equally old. The obvious way out of your problem is to upgrade
Samba to a supported version, but this will probably entail upgrading
your distro as well, something you seem loathe to do.

Sorry, if this isn't what you want to hear, but upgrading is the best
way forward.

Rowland