[Samba] Migrating SAMBA 3 NT4 domain to SAMBA 4 AD

K. R. Foley kr at cybsft.com
Mon Aug 24 02:59:05 UTC 2020

Hi,

We have an older Samba3 NT4 domain, which uses a TDB backend. We have a
variety of different versions of Windows clients. We need to migrate to
a Samba 4 AD domain. I have successfully tested the classic upgrade on a
new server in an isolated network, but I had to work through some issues
along the way. My understanding is that if the clients communicate with
the new AD DC, they will never be able to go back to the NT4 domain. Is
this correct? I am concerned about getting into an all or nothing
situation with no return path.

Is there a way to:

1)convert the data on the new server using the classic upgrade

2) mount the Samba file systems via NFS on the new AD DC so that both
servers have access to the file systems

3) enable the new server and keep the existing Samba NT4 PDC active
simultaneously

4) migrate the client PCs gradually instead of all at once

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Regards,

K. R. Foley