[Samba] Samba rpms now available from CentOS Storage SIG

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 24 02:49:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 04:09 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba wrote:

> Then what, precisely, is the point of these non-RHEL supported
> updates, rather than using the versions built into the base RHEL and
> CentOS?
>
> If you'd like the tools to enable domain controller access. I publish
> a set  of them, pdated a few days ago to 4.13.0rc2., at
>
> * https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/
>
> I may be a bit fussy about this, but I've gotten a bit tired of
> having
> to keep updating these.

Nico,

One innovation (compared with how most Samba for RPM-based-systems) in
the CentOS storage packages are that they do not use the system
tdb,talloc,tevent,ldb etc.

Samba is tested with the version that is included in the release, and
updates to the system version can break other things (sssd is the most
likely, but in theory almost any of the other dependencies).

It seems to me both safer and (the reason I mention it to you) I hope a
little less work to maintain just Samba packages, and not the bundle of
libraries as well.

Anoop,

You might wish to remove the redundant declaration of the minimum
talloc/tevent/etc versions from the top of the .spec, these are either
unused or redeclared later on.

Thank you both for all your efforts!

Andrew Bartlett

--