[Samba] Making a static build of smbclient

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 20 22:31:49 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 18:05 -0400, David Birks via samba wrote:
> Hello, I'm having troubles with making a static build of smbclient.
> I've
> searched the archives, and it seems like I'm getting close, but I'm
> not
> quite there yet. I've tried:
>
> ./configure --nonshared-binary=smbclient
> make bin/smbclient
>
> But then when I run `ldd bin/smbclient`, I see a lot of linked
> libraries
> still. And if I copy it to a fresh docker container (to try it in a
> completely different environment), it gives an error saying that it
> can't find a library.

Yeah, we don't really do static builds.  We just do 'less dyanmic'
builds.

I dug into this for our oss-fuzz build (Google's cloud fuzzer) and
ended up with this to copy and use rpath to locate the system libraries
we still link to.

See:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/blob/master/lib/fuzzing/oss-fuzz/build_samba.sh#L76

Andrew Bartlett