[Samba] PANIC running Samba as Domain Controller

William Ross williamrossmbsw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:02:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 15:43, Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On 19/08/2020 15:19, William Ross via samba wrote:
> > Thanks for the prompt reply. When you say debug packages which do you
> > mean? I can't see any with 'debug' in the name on the apt.van-belle.nl
> > repo.
>
> You need the ones that end in '-dbgsym' , see here for an example list:
>
> http://apt.van-belle.nl/current-packages-in-buster-samba412-apt.txt

Looks like there aren't any in the ubuntu focal repository - guess
I'll need to rebuild the server again, this time with a Debian base.
The rest of our infrastructure is CentOS. If I brought the CentOS 8
version of the DC back but configured with --enable-debug presumably
that would get the necessary information?

> > (Note that the 'logging' line doesn't appear to work. Regardless of
> > the number after the @ symbol it logs at the level specified by 'log
> > level'. The machine doesn't have enough disk space to handle the logs,
> > so I've set the log file to /dev/null and configured a dedicated
> > machine to receive them. I was hoping to be able to keep the file
> > logging at level 1 to provide an easy way to see when the PANICs
> > happen (given how huge the log file becomes at level 10)).
>
> Not sure, if we knew what was causing the panic, you could limit what to
> log, but you need to log everything to find out what is causing the
> panic, bit of a chicken and egg situation ;-)

Makes sense. I think the issue comes about under load - when the
office emptied for Covid in April/May the PANICs dried up, coming back
with a vengeance when everyone came back - maybe just some edge case
of multiple requests coming in simultaneously.

Will