[Samba] PANIC running Samba as Domain Controller

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 19 14:43:17 UTC 2020

On 19/08/2020 15:19, William Ross via samba wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply. When you say debug packages which do you
> mean? I can't see any with 'debug' in the name on the apt.van-belle.nl
> repo.

You need the ones that end in '-dbgsym' , see here for an example list:

http://apt.van-belle.nl/current-packages-in-buster-samba412-apt.txt

> I've enabled level 10 debug logging as per
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_logging (though I
> didn't configure it per client) and generated a log file of 1GB in 15
> minutes. The local shared drive (hosted on a QNAP domain member)
> started to become unable to authenticate users (I think due to system
> load on the domain controller). I may need to run this for a couple of
> days to catch the next PANIC (they are intermittent).
This makes me wonder if it is something at your end triggering the
panic, but still it shouldn't panic :-(
> Is there any way
> I could tweak the config to reduce the load on the domain controller
> whilst still getting useful debug information? The precise logging
> lines in my smb.conf are:
>
>    log level = 10
>    max log size = 0
>    logging = syslog at 10 file at 1
>    log file = /dev/null
>    # add the pid to the log
>    debug pid = yes
>    # add the uid to the log
>    debug uid = yes
>    # add the debug class to the log
>    debug class = yes
>    # add microsecond resolution to timestamp
>    debug hires timestamp = yes
>
> (Note that the 'logging' line doesn't appear to work. Regardless of
> the number after the @ symbol it logs at the level specified by 'log
> level'. The machine doesn't have enough disk space to handle the logs,
> so I've set the log file to /dev/null and configured a dedicated
> machine to receive them. I was hoping to be able to keep the file
> logging at level 1 to provide an easy way to see when the PANICs
> happen (given how huge the log file becomes at level 10)).

Not sure, if we knew what was causing the panic, you could limit what to
log, but you need to log everything to find out what is causing the
panic, bit of a chicken and egg situation ;-)

Rowland